Restricted visitation in effect at Logansport Memorial Hospital
With the bitterly cold winter weather, Logansport Memorial Hospital and the community have seen a significant spike in influenza cases over the past week. Because of this trend, visitors are now restricted at Logansport Memorial Hospital. In an effort to protect patients, visitors and employees, Logansport Memorial Hospital is implementing the following visitor restrictions effective January 2, 2018:
- There is a limit of two adult visitors per patient at a time.
- No children or siblings under the age of 18 will be allowed to visit at this time.
- Visitors are urged to perform hand washing frequently, including when entering and leaving the building. Foam dispensers are available throughout the buildings, and are effective against influenza virus.
- Visitors who are ill with a fever or other cold or flu-like symptoms including cough, sneezing, running nose, sore throat, vomiting or diarrhea are asked not to visit patients.
For visitors to the Family Birth Center where newborns stay, the visitor restrictions are limited to two well adults only, who will be the only two visitors allowed to see the patient – new mom and baby – through their entire stay, from admission to discharge.
If you do decide to visit someone at the hospital during these restrictions, please consider the following:
- Assess your own health before visiting the hospital. Don’t visit unless you’re feeling well yourself. If you have a contagious illness – a fever, a cold, a cough, or other influenza symptoms – you should postpone your visit until you are well.
- Do not visit if you are at a higher risk to contract infections. It is recommended that anyone with chronic heart or lung disease, or a weakened immune system should not visit patients with contagious diseases.
- Always wash your hands upon entering and leaving the patient’s room. Make sure to wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, shutting off the faucet with a paper towel, or use the alcohol hand foam available in each patient’s room and rub your hands together until dry. Visitors should clean their hands before and also after they leave the room.
If you would like more information about what to do around the flu, please visit the CDC website: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/consumer/symptoms.htm
We understand that these visitation restrictions can be an inconvenience for your family. Please know that we only restrict visitation during the height of flu season or during an outbreak, in an effort to protect hospitalized patients who are particularly vulnerable to illness. A virus like the flu or a severe cold can significantly complicate recovery and delay discharge from the hospital. These restrictions will be reviewed once the flu outbreak slows down.
Thank you for your continued understanding and cooperation as we respond to this year’s flu season.
SOURCE: News release from Logansport Memorial Hospital