The Gray Mill in Logansport receives Half Century Business Award
The Gray Mill Company at the Statehouse received the Governor’s Half Century Business Award for its longevity and sustained investment in the community, according to State Rep. Bill Friend (R-Macy).
Friend said the Gray Mill, in operation since 1952, provides home furniture and floor coverings in north central Indiana.
“Small businesses like the Gray Mill are a vital part of our state’s economy and support many local jobs,” Friend said. “Operating for 66 years is an impressive accomplishment and showcases Indiana’s thriving business climate.”
The Governor’s Century and Half Century Business Awards honor Hoosier businesses that have remained in operation for a minimum of 100 or 50 consecutive years and have demonstrated a commitment to community service. Visit www.iedc.in.gov to learn more.
SOURCE: News release from State Representative Bill Friend
INDIANAPOLIS – Governor Eric J. Holcomb honored 44 Indiana companies today with the Governor’s Century or Half Century Business Award, recognizing each company for its longevity and service to its employees, community and the state.
“Today we honor Hoosier business leaders who have been creating jobs and running their businesses in Indiana for more than 50 or 100 years,” said Gov. Holcomb. “I’m excited to celebrate this year’s award recipients and extend a sincere thanks for the role they play in making Indiana one of the nation’s top destinations for business.”
The Governor’s Century and Half Century Business Awards honor Hoosier businesses that have remained in operation for a minimum of 100 or 50 consecutive years and have also demonstrated a commitment to community service. Nearly 1,500 companies from across the state have been recognized during the 27-year history of the award.
The Century Award honorees for 2018 are:
- DeMotte Mercantile & Sell It Again sells curiosities, antiques and home décor. Since 1910, the family-owned business has provided a variety of services, including goods, appliances, shoes and paint.
108 years; Jasper County
- Ewing Printing Co Inc., a full-service commercial printer, has an office and plant in Vincennes, offering its customers printing, design and bulk mailing services for flipbooks, photography, binding, vehicle graphics and signs.
100 years; Knox County
- First Merchants Bank of Muncie is the largest financial services holding company located in central Indiana, providing its customers services in personal and business banking, mortgage lending, and treasury and wealth management. Ranked in the top five by Forbes as one of “America’s Best Banks,” First Merchants is consistently recognized as a best employer and place to work.
125 years; Delaware County
- Goebel Chiropractic, a third-generation family chiropractor, provides chiropractic care for the Fort Wayne community.
102 years; Allen County
- KPC Media Group, located in the same Kendallville-based building where the publishing firm was founded in 1911, remains a family-owned business with publication sites in Auburn, Angola, Albion, Churubusco and Fort Wayne.
115 years; Noble County
- Lehigh Cement Company, a subsidiary of Lehigh Hanson Inc., began operating in Indiana in 1902 and is one of the leading producers of cement in North America.
116 years; Lawrence County
- Merchants Property Insurance Company of Indiana, family-owned and operated for four generations, provided property and casualty insurance to Hoosier homeowners and businesses for more than 100 years. Founded in 1907 and headquartered in Indianapolis, the company currently manages investments.
111 years; Marion County
- Nix Companies, which is a fifth-generation, family-owned business, provides services in industrial product sales, manufacturing and maintenance contracting. The company is comprised of three primary operating entities including Nix Metals, Nix Coatings and Nix Equipment.
116 years; Posey County
- Old National Bank is the largest financial services bank holding company headquartered in Indiana. With $17.5 billion in assets, it ranks among the top 100 banking companies in the U.S. and has been recognized as a World’s Most Ethical Company by the Ethisphere Institute for seven consecutive years.
184 years; Vanderburgh County
- Reit Price Company, a manufacturer of cleaning products, offers its customers a complete line of mops, brooms, handles and hardware for floor care, and its recognized as one of the largest manufacturers of metal band mops in the U.S.
118 years; Randolph County
- Terre Haute Savings Bank, a mutual savings bank chartered in 1869, is headquartered in Terre Haute with eight locations in Vigo and Clay counties. As a community bank, the company is governed by a board of directors comprised of local business and community leaders.
149 years, Vigo County
- Urban-Winkler Funeral Home Inc, a family-owned and operated funeral home, provides funeral and cremation services to Connersville and Liberty residents as well as surrounding counties.
116 years; Fayette County
The Half Century Award honorees for 2018:
- AAA Plumbing is a full-service plumbing company that handles leaky faucets and installations of plumbing, drainage and water systems in commercial and residential buildings. The company, which is family-owned and operated, serves the Frankfort and Lebanon communities.
72 years; Clinton County
- Ashpaugh Electric Inc., a family-owned and operated electrical service, installation and repair company, was founded by Dave Ashpaugh on the principles of faith and ethics and has served Westfield and the surrounding communities since 1965.
53 years; Hamilton County
- Austgen Electric Inc., a privately-owned and operated electrical contractor, has provided industrial and commercial electrical construction and maintenance services since 1945. The company also offers fleet service repairs as well as industrial, commercial and residential real estate leasing, serving northwest Indiana as well as central and northern Illinois.
73 years; Lake County
- Baylor Trucking, which was founded by a World War II veteran, Chester Baylor, after returning home in 1945. The company operates its family-owned, dry-van and refrigerated freight-delivery business in Milan. It has grown to more than 250 trucks, operating in 48 states throughout the U.S. Baylor Trucking focuses its attention on delivering quality customer service with safe, legal and on-time values.
72 years; Ripley County
- Bayman Auctioneers specializes in the sale of real estate, agricultural land and personal property, conducting more than 70 auctions per year.
57 years; Whitley County
- Brownies Marine Sales Inc., a fourth-generation, family-owned boat provider, sells new and used boats, including fish, sport and pontoon boats.
60 years; Shelby County
- Cantwell Service Center, a Marathon Petroleum Company (MPC) gas station, also provides quality automotive repairs to the residents of west central Indiana.
50 years; Knox County
- Co-Alliance LLP, a partnership of five agricultural cooperatives in Indiana, is one of the largest agribusiness and energy marketing and supply co-ops in the Midwest, offering services in energy, agronomy, grain marketing, and swine and animal nutrition.
91 years; Hendricks County
- Cooper’s Trenching Inc., a third-generation excavation contractor, offers services in horizontal directional boring and trenching for drainage, water and electric lines.
63 years; Noble County
- Corbin’s Drapery Inc., a customized window treatment store, offers personalized decorated window design services for homes and offices.
64 years; Dubois County
- Cressy Commercial Real Estate, a full-service brokerage, development and property management company, serves northern Indiana and western Michigan.
70 years; St. Joseph County
- CSO Architects Inc., a design firm for corporate, educational, manufacturing, logistics, healthcare, civic, hospitality and research facilities, offers a diverse range of programming, planning, architectural and interior design services. Some of the company’s key projects include Indianapolis International Airport, JW Marriott Complex, The Palladium, Indiana Historical Society and Circle Centre Mall.
57 years; Marion County
- Custer Grain Company, a third-generation, family-owned and operated grain elevator has more than 3 million bushel capacity with rail shipping capabilities along the CSX railroad in northeast Indiana.
51 years; DeKalb County
- E&B Paving Inc. is a heavy highway, municipal and commercial asphalt and concrete paving and bridge construction company, serving all 92 Indiana counties.
51 years; Madison County
- Easterday Construction Co. Inc., a fourth-generation, family-owned construction company in Culver, specializes in commercial and industrial construction projects in northern Indiana.
90 years; Marshall County
- Ferguson Law, a Bloomington-based law firm, is committed to client service and relationships. They are dedicated to understanding its clients’ legal issues as well as finding solutions for its clients’ legal problems. The firm has provided informed legal counsel to its clients throughout Indiana since 1956.
62 years; Monroe County
- Glenroy Construction Co. is an Indianapolis-based general contractor that constructs, enhances, and restores prominent buildings for clients such as the state of Indiana, Indiana University, IUPUI, Purdue University, the city of Indianapolis, and numerous local governments and school districts.
66 years; Marion County
- Gray Mill Company, a family-owned and operated home furnishings store based in Logansport, provides furniture and floor coverings for its customers in north central Indiana.
66 years; Cass County
- Hackleman Auto Collision Repair, a third-generation, family-owned auto collision and body repair shop, has locations in Danville and Avon.
56 years; Hendricks County
- Johnson Petroleum, a family-owned and operated petroleum distributor, offers fuel sales and deliveries, a full line of oil and lubricants, and operates six retail stores and a truck center.
90 years; Huntington County
- Knueven Brothers, which operates grocery stores under the name of Save-A-Lot, is estimated to generate $3.5 million in annual revenues and employs nearly 15 people at its Brookville facility.
71 years; Franklin County
- Krukemeier Machine and Tool Inc. manufactures aerospace, power generation and bio-science products, as well as support tooling for the automotive industry. KMT was founded by John E. Krukemeier in 1946 in a 4,000-square-foot facility. The company has more than tripled in size, currently utilizing a 13,500-square-foot building in a temperature-controlled environment housing the latest technology in five axis machining, turning, and WEDM equipment.
72 years; Marion County
- Lefler Collision and Glass Repair Centers, an automobile body shop for certified collision repair and glass replacement, was named best body shop in the U.S. by ABRN magazine, twice.
66 years; Vanderburgh County
- Mold Service Inc., a manufacturer of specialty machines, cylinders, fabrication, new engineering, precision surface grinding and short-run CNC, serves customers in rubber, steel, stamping, roll former, injection molding and agriculture manufacturing.
57 years; DeKalb County
- Muncie Aviation Company is an employee-owned, full-service aviation business that has earned a nationwide reputation for quality in aircraft sales, service and avionics maintenance and upgrades.
86 years; Delaware County
- Norris Insurance, an independent insurance agency, provides auto, home, farm, business, life and health insurance protection through insurance companies. Striving to follow their slogan, “We’ll come running,” they assist current and future clients in protecting them from risks by serving clients from 15 locations in north central Indiana.
59 years; Miami County
- Robert Tylisz Appliance, a provider of home, kitchen and laundry appliances from brands like Whirlpool and Maytag, operates in two locations across Indiana, which include stores in Michigan City and LaPorte.
59 years; LaPorte County
- Sycamore Engineering, a third-generation, family-owned construction and engineering company, specializes in commercial and industrial mechanical, electrical, sheet metal, telecommunication, building solutions and DC power systems, and serves the west central Indiana and Wabash Valley communities.
58 years; Vigo County
- Titus Funeral Home provides funeral and cremation services for Warsaw residents as well as its surrounding counties.
62 years; Kosciusko County
- United Consulting is an all-Indiana engineering company that provides jobs for over 100 Hoosier families. United specializes in the design of highways, interchanges, bridges and wastewater treatment facilities across the state of Indiana.
53 years; Marion County
- Valley Screen Process Company is a second-generation, family-owned company that specializes in decorative graphics for recreational products, including boats and RV’s, wraps and lettering for vehicles and fleets, interior artwork, window film and wall protection products for medical, commercial, hospitality and educational spaces.
51 years; St. Joseph County
- WITZ Radio, a full-service community radio station, offers local news and sports broadcasting for Dubois County and surrounding communities.
70 years; Dubois County
SOURCE: News release from the Indiana Economic Development Corporation